New Year's Eve revelers will find there is such a thing as a free ride on metro buses, Hiawatha light rail and Northstar trains.
On Saturday, passengers can ride free from 6 p.m. through the last scheduled trip on bus and rail routes operated by Metro Transit, the Metropolitan Council or the Minnesota Valley Transit Authority. The rides are provided through a partnership with Metro Transit, Miller Lite and J.J. Taylor Distributing Co.
For 15 years, the program has run during St. Patrick's Day festivities. This is the first time it will be offered in the Twin Cities on New Year's Eve.
"We're thrilled to team up again with Miller Lite to offer this popular and safe travel choice - this time on New Year's Eve," said Metro Transit General Manager Brian Lamb.
• The last Hiawatha line trains leave downtown Minneapolis' Warehouse District at 12:16, 1:16 and 2:16 a.m. Miss the last one and you'll be waiting for the first morning train at 4:05 a.m.
• On Northstar, the last train departs Target Field at 7 p.m. on Dec. 31. There's no regular New Year's Day service, so miss Saturday's departure and you'll be coming back with Vikings fans after Sunday's game.
• More than 25 bus routes will offer after-midnight rides.
• Visit www.metrotransit.org/millerfreerides for details.
• MillerLiteFreeRides.com has more information about the program.