Suspect in East Side beating found not guilty on all counts

  • Article by: CHAO XIONG , Star Tribune
  • Updated: November 8, 2013 - 10:48 PM

The judge told Issac O. Maiden, “You dodged one here.” One juror cited confusing testimony among the reasons for the acquittal.


A memorial is set up, August 12, 2013, in the area of the Payne-Phalen neighborhood in St. Paul, Minnesota, where a brutal beating left a man with brain damage.

Photo: Renee Jones Schneider, Star Tribune

CameraStar Tribune photo galleries

Cameraview larger


Jurors acquitted Issac O. Maiden Friday of all charges in this summer’s brutal attack on Ray Widstrand, a St. Paul man who requires 24-hour care due to the injuries he sustained.

The not guilty verdicts were returned after about four hours of deliberations. Juror Tom Paulson said that there were too many holes and that witness testimony was “very confusing.” The jury acquitted Maiden of first-degree assault, first-degree aggravated robbery and two counts of a crime committed for the benefit of a gang.

“We just thought there wasn’t enough proof,” Paulson said. “A lot of [jurors] felt [witnesses] were covering for themselves.”

Maiden’s attorney, Bruce Wenger, said that Maiden would be released from jail and be home by Friday evening.

“I’m thrilled,” Wenger said.

Maiden, 19, is the first of five teens charged in the Aug. 4 attack to stand trial.

In their closing arguments Friday morning, Assistant Ramsey County Attorney David Miller and Wenger each tried to raise doubt about a number of witnesses. Miller said that gang violence could have caused some witnesses to be evasive in court.

Several witnesses testified that they and Maiden have ties to or are familiar with a number of St. Paul gangs with violent reputations.

Witnesses and a St. Paul police gang investigator testified that members of the Gutta Block, HAM Crazy, Get Money Gang and East Side Boyz gangs were present when Widstrand was attacked about 11:30 p.m. at Minnehaha Avenue and Preble Street. Several of those gangs are responsible for multiple murders of teens on the East Side, including the July murder of Vincent “Mo” Allison, 17.

Allison’s cousin, Treheem Smith, testified at Maiden’s trial. Miller told jurors Friday morning that Smith told police in an Aug. 5 interview that East Side Boyz gang members attacked Widstrand, but that he then refused to discuss gang involvement in court.

Wenger said he didn’t think intimidation was a factor in his client’s case and that it was a “red herring.” Several witnesses not only contradicted each other about Maiden’s actions that night, but also the actions of Cindarion D. Butler, 17. Butler is charged as an adult in the case and has yet to stand trial.

Juror noticed intimidation

The impact of intimidation was apparent to jurors, said Paulson, who detected it in witnesses’ quiet voices and changing accounts of that night.

“I think [intimidation] was a huge factor,” Paulson said. “[Witnesses] were scared to talk, and I don’t blame them.”

Despite that, Paulson said he believed Maiden wasn’t involved in the attack because there was no physical evidence connecting him. Police Sgt. Sheila Lambie testified that Widstrand’s DNA and presumptive blood were found on Butler’s shoes and pants, but not on Maiden’s clothing.

Maiden testified that he was sprayed in the eyes with a chemical irritant and fled before Widstrand arrived. About 40 to 50 teens who had been at a nearby house party were watching girls fighting when people started spraying a chemical irritant to disperse the crowd, witnesses testified.

But photos taken from a cellphone video of the fights showed Maiden up close with no irritation. It was captured just before Widstrand arrived, Miller said. Wenger argued that a lot could have happened in that window of time.

  • related content

  • St. Paul beating-trial jury must sift through conflicting stories

    Thursday November 7, 2013

    Closing arguments are today in the summer street attack that left a St. Paul man profoundly injured.

  • Nov. 6: Witness: Victim helped girl before he was attacked

    Wednesday November 6, 2013

    A St. Paul teenager testified Wednesday that Ray Widstrand had stopped to help a girl knocked to the ground during a fight when he was attacked by a group of...

  • Good Samaritan says she tried to shield man in brutal St. Paul attack

    Tuesday November 5, 2013

    A teen is charged in the beating in St. Paul. The witness said she could not identify any of the attackers by face because all she saw were shoes and...

  • Maiden

  • At the Courage Center in Golden Valley, Ray Widstrand, right, pictured October 8, 2013, is recovering from a near fatal attack in August, which landed him in intensive care. Part of his cranium was removed to alleviate pressure from swelling. His sister, Alice, visits him almost daily.

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions


Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters