The biggest golfing event on the planet continues at Hazeltine National Golf Club in Chaska as Ryder Cup match play begins Friday and lasts through Sunday.
The major road closure for the weekend is on westbound I-694. MnDOT will have lanes shut down from 10 p.m. Friday through 5 a.m. Monday between I-35W and Hwy. 252 in the northern suburbs for bridge painting.
Smaller than the Ryder Cup, but no less festive, is the annual Beer Run 5K through northeast Minneapolis on Saturday afternoon. Look for street closures on parts of West River Parkway, Broadway and Plymouth Avenue. The TCO Vikings 5K run along Bloomington and 11th avenues Saturday morning in south Minneapolis.
Other traffic generating events include the final weekend of the Renaissance Festival in Shakopee, Cirque du Soleil shows Friday through Sunday at Target Center, a Lynx playoff game Friday night at the Xcel Energy Center in downtown St. Paul and a Wild game in the same place at 5 p.m. Sunday. No Gophers home football game Saturday, but Open Streets takes over some road on the U of M campus 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday.
Here is your weekend road construction guide:
1. I-494 in Plymouth/Maple Grove: Traffic between Fish Lake Road in Maple Grove and Hwy. 55 in Plymouth sharing lanes on the southbound side of the freeway and reduced to two lanes each direction until Nov. 4. Expect off-peak lane and ramp closures on I-494 south of Hwy 55.
2. Hwy. 100 in St. Louis Park: Lane restrictions in the vicinity of Hwy. 7 and Excelsior Blvd.
3. County Road 81 in Brooklyn Park: Single lane from 63rd Avenue to West Broadway Avenue (County Road 8).
4. I-694 through New Brighton and Brooklyn Center: Westbound lanes closed from 10 p.m. Friday through 5 a.m. Monday between I-35W and Hwy. 252.
5. I-35W in Mounds View: Lanes narrow in the vicinity of County Road H due to bridge construction.
6. I-694 in Shoreview: Westbound traffic has two lanes separated by a concrete barrier between I-35E and Lexington Avenue through November.
7. I-35E in the northeast metro: Intermittent lane closures between County E and Main Street. County 96 is closed from Manning Avenue to Dellwood Road.
8. Hwy. 8 in Franconia: The highway is closed between the south junction of Hwy. 95 in Franconia and downtown Taylors Falls.
9. White Bear Avenue in St. Paul: Road work between I-94 to Beech Street and closed to all traffic between Wilson Avenue and 3rd Street.
10. I-94 from St. Paul to Maplewood: Three lanes open despite construction between Mounds Blvd. and Century Avenue. Occasional lane closures on the eastbound side. Ramps from westbound 94 to McKnight and Hwy. 61, and from Hudson Road and McKnight Road to westbound 94 closed until late October.
11. Hwy. 36 at Lexington Avenue in Roseville: Eastbound is still using a bypass at Lexington Avenue.
12. Hwy. 5 in St. Paul: Right lanes closed from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. daily.
13. Washington Avenue in Minneapolis: Westbound lanes closed from Portland Avenue to Hennepin Avenue S.
14. Cedar Avenue in Eagan: Ramp from westbound Hwy. 13 to northbound Cedar Avenue closed until late October.
15. Hwy. 3 in Farmington: Daily road closures on Highway 3 between Willow Street north and 160th Street.