The Upper Midwest continues to see massive casualties of livestock in barn fires, three weeks after we reported that such blazes killed more than 25,000 animals last year.
On Sunday night, 19,000 turkeys died at a barn owned by Jennie-O in Swanville in northwest Minnesota. Firefighters from Swanville, Grey Eagle and Flensburg rushed to the scene.
Swanville Fire Chief Jerry Hollermann said he was called to the scene around 9:30 Sunday night and fought the blaze along with about 40 other firefighters for six hours.
“The barn is standing, but it’s pretty extensive damage,” he said.
“They’re pretty small birds, so they were probably all gone when we got there,” said Hollermann. “Because just the smoke in the barn, the barns are pretty sealed up -- so when they have a fire in them, the smoke pretty well kills them right away.”
In December, 7,500 turkeys perished in a fire near Worthington; in October, 13,000 hogs died near Truman, Minn. Casualties were huge last winter and spring, when 300,000 hens perished in La Grange, Wis. and 150,000 hens died in a Galt, Iowa, fire.
Robert "Bobby" Tufts, age 5, lost his bid for a third term as mayor of tiny Dorset, Minn., this Sunday. Instead, voters at the Taste of Dorset festival threw their support behind a candidate three times his age -- 16-year-old Eric Mueller.
Despite losing the office he'd held for almost half his life, Tufts accepted his first electoral defeat with grace.
"It was fun, but it's time to pass on the vote," Bobby told The Associated Press. He's ready to pass the political mantle to the next generation -- his little brother. "I'm gonna let James do it. He's 2."
Bobby leaves behind a record of mayoral accomplishments that include tossing candy at parades and moving ice cream to the top of the food pyramid, the AP reports. He also leveraged the publicity his election generated to raise money for the Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Red River Valley in Fargo.
Mayor Bobby worked the crowds, gladhandling in a tiny tie and fedora, but this was Eric Mueller's year. When the time came to pull the winning mayor's name out of a hat, the honor went to the high school junior from Mendota Heights, who told the AP that the idea to run for higher office came to him after he ate five fried ice creams in a row.
For now, Bobby's mother, Emma Tufts, says her son is looking forward to being just another kid in the crowd at the festival, catching candy instead of throwing it.
"He really enjoyed being a kid in some festivals, not having to perform," she told the AP.
Two years after he bowed out of the political arena, former state lawmaker Tom Rukavina is jumping back in.
"I missed it, to be honest with you. I just missed being able to work a room and I missed being with people," said Rukavina, one of three candidates vying for a nonpartisan seat on the St. Louis County Board.
Rukavina, a Democrat, retired from the Legislature in 2012, stepping down from the seat he held for 26 years. He filed the paperwork for his new campaign on Tuesday morning.
"For the past year and a half, people would come up to me and say, 'Oh, Rukavina, thank you for your service. We really wish you were still in politics.' So I'm going to see if they really meant it or not," he said with a laugh.
The Mesabi Daily News reports that he faces former Cook City Councilwoman Kirsten Reichel and Vermilion Lake Township resident Christina Hujanen in the nonpartisan election. The job offers a full-time salary of about $55,000 and, Rukavina said, the opportunity "to be home every night with my wife," after two and a half decades of shuttling back and forth to St. Paul.
Rukavina, whose past campaigns have ranged from Minnesota governor to the Virginia school board, was a fierce, funny force on the state political scene. During his 2010 gubernatorial campaign, he gave out underpants emblazoned with the slogan "Refreshingly Honest."
In his farewell message to his colleagues, he lamented "the changing atmosphere at the Capitol."
“I recall a kinder and gentler time here when even the most conservative members of our body still believed government could do good things for our people," he wrote at the time. "But times have changed and I haven’t so it’s time for a new direction.”
County government, he said, is another story -- a nonpartisan office and a chance to help constituents at the ground level.
"I left because it had gotten a little out of hand in St. Paul. I'm hoping it will be a little tamer and nicer in Duluth and in Ely and Virginia and Hibbing," he said.
Rukavina, 63, had been eyeing the seat of retiring St. Louis County commissioner Mike Forsman of Ely for some time. The Duluth News Tribune dubbed his campaign plans "the worst-kept secret on the Iron Range."
Rukavina has been working as an Iron Range staffer for Democratic U.S. Rep. Rick Nolan but says he will step down from that post around July, as his own campaign heats up.
"That way, if I put my foot in my mouth, I won't put my foot in his mouth," he said, laughing again.
Star Tribune photo by Jeff Wheeler
A former Mille Lacs County sheriff's deputy pleaded guilty Friday to molesting young boys at an Otter Tail County summer camp where he was a volunteer.
Aaron Joseph Heuer faces up to 33 years in prison after pleading guilty to four counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct and one count of second-degree criminal sexual conduct against five different victims, according to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.
The charges stem from June 2013, when Heuer was volunteering as a fishing guide at Lutheran Island Camp in Henning. He pleaded guilty to sexual contact with young boys at the camp, all between the ages of 8 and 10. Investigators believe he knew the children prior to the incidents, which included a separate fishing trip in Aitkin County that was unrelated to the camp.
Heuer, a resident of Isle, also pleaded guilty to one count of criminal sexual conduct in Mille Lacs County. The plea agreement calls for a sentence of 396 months in prison. His sentencing is scheduled for May 8 in Otter Tail County District Court.
Duluth will hold its traditional Blessing of the Port ceremony Thursday evening, even though heavy ice will delay the start of the shipping season this year.
Officials in the St. Lawrence Seaway System announced this week that they will delay the start of the 2014 navigation season for the Montreal/Lake Ontario section until at least March 31.
By contrast, last year the ice thawed so early the oceangoing "saltie" freighters were able to pull into Duluth before April for the first time in half a century.
Ice or no ice, The Twin Ports Ministry to Seafarers will host the annual Blessing of the Port at 5 p.m., followed by refreshments and a musical salute to all mariners. Vanta E. Coda II, executive director of the Duluth Seaway Port Authority will also give his forecast for the 2014 shipping season.