The Whistleblower blog was started in 2008. Look for posts by these contributors: James Eli Shiffer, Jane Friedmann, Brandon Stahl, Eric Roper and Alejandra Matos. | Check out the Whistleblower archive.

Find us on Facebook and Twitter. Find our watchdog and investigative work at The Investigators.

The Star Tribune's journalists need your help blowing the whistle in Minnesota. Contact us here.

Marketer banned from sending texts

Posted by: James Eli Shiffer under Advertising claims, Businesses in hot water, Scams Updated: February 10, 2014 - 6:26 PM

By Alejandra Matos

A Wisconsin marketer was permanently banned from sending unsolicited text messages to consumers after he sent millions of texts to people promising free gift cards and electronics, the Federal Trade Commission announced last week.

Jason Q. Cruz of West Bend, Wis., allegedly sent the text messages promising free iPads or $1,000 gift cards from major retailers, the FTC said.

Those who clicked on the links were taken to a website that requested their personal information and required them to sign up for multiple “risky” trial offers for “questionable products and services” that cost money or included recurring monthly charges, the FTC said.

The FTC sued Cruz in March, and the ban on future texts settles that lawsuit.

  • 0
  • Comments

Be the first to comment

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT