What’s making news in Minneapolis, reported by the Star Tribune’s team of city reporters. Send news tips to baird.helgeson@startribune.com.

Police: We need more tips in case of slain five-year-old

Posted by: Matt McKinney under Public records, Public safety Updated: June 27, 2012 - 4:21 PM

 

Nizzel Anthony George, 5, slain June 26, 2012.

Nizzel Anthony George, 5, slain June 26, 2012.

Police investigators reached out to the public Wednesday afternoon to ask for more tips in the shooting death of Nizzel Anthony George, the five-year-old who was shot Tuesday morning while sleeping in his north Minneapolis home. Police Chief Tim Dolan said it appears someone stood across the street and sprayed the front of the house with gunfire. Dolan said the shooting was the result of an ongoing dispute within the neighborhood.

In their statement Wednesday, police said they've made good progress on the case so far. Four homicide investigators along with officers from the Fourth Precinct and the Violent Criminal Apprehension Team worked through the night, the police reported.

"...We still need the public's help with additional information. Therefore, we are asking again that if anyone has information, please call one of the assigned Homicide investigators at 612-673-2941," the statement read.

Callers who wish to remain anonymous can call 612-692-TIPS (8477). Crime Stoppers of Minnesota has posted a reward of up to $1,000 for information.

Autopsy results released Wednesday said Nizzel was killed by a single bullet. He was pronounced dead at 9:02 a.m. at North Memorial Hospital, about half an hour after the shooting, according to the autopsy.

 

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT