Carbon monoxide blamed for death of Shell Lake father, injuries to wife, daughters

  • Updated: July 17, 2013 - 6:15 AM

SHELL LAKE, Wis. — Authorities say carbon monoxide apparently caused the death of a Washburn County man and sickened his wife, two daughters and first responders.

Rescue crews were called to a Shell Lake home early Tuesday. Thirty-two-year-old Joseph Parker was taken to the hospital but did not survive.

His wife and two daughters are hospitalized for carbon monoxide exposure. Their conditions were not immediately available.

Officials say several first responders were also taken to the hospital to be treated for exposure to carbon monoxide.

WQOW-TV (http://bit.ly/192Cs3V ) reports the preliminary investigation shows the family was using a gas-powered generator to provide electricity to the home. Sheriff Terry Dryden says the exhaust fumes from the generator were not properly vented, leading to carbon monoxide levels that were at least 800 times acceptable levels.

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

question of the day

Poll: How many games will the Timberwolves win this season?

Weekly Question

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Close