Overheated compressor led to Sartell paper mill fire

  • Article by: Associated Press
  • Updated: August 13, 2012 - 6:14 PM

SARTELL, Minn. - The Minnesota state fire marshal's office says an overheated air compressor caused a deadly Memorial Day explosion and fire at a Sartell paper mill.

According to a report released Monday, the overheated compressor ignited oil vapors in an air receiving tank at the Verso Paper Corp. mill.

The 27-page report says the cooling water supply to the compressor was severely reduced in the hour before the explosion, and that two other compressors had already shut off because of overheating.

Damage from the explosion is estimated at $50 million. The St. Cloud Times ( http://on.sctimes.com/P8GUDe) reports the case is closed.

The blast killed one employee and injured a couple of others. Verso announced earlier this month that the mill will not reopen.

___

Information from: St. Cloud Times, http://www.sctimes.com

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

question of the day

Poll: Grade the All-Star Game experience

Weekly Question

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Close