Gov. Mark Dayton appealed last month's denial of individual assistance for flood victims in northeastern Minnesota, citing concerns about the safety and sanitation of residences that were badly damaged by June flooding and that won't be covered by federal assistance.
In a letter to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Dayton on Wednesday said that more than 1,700 homes were damaged, and most owners don't have flood insurance.
In addition, he wrote, state and local governments are under budget strains from past disasters.
Without assistance, Dayton said, homeowners could face condemnation of their properties or be unable to replace furnaces before winter.
FEMA has approved assistance to repair publicly owned buildings, roads and structures. The Legislature could meet soon to provide a 25 percent match.
Poll: Who should be the next Twins starting pitcher to lose his job?