Drivers will need to muster their patience to navigate around the closures of freeways through downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul.
Motorists taking freeways through downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul this weekend will encounter many detours and slowdowns. Here's what to watch for:
Westbound Interstate 94, between Hwy. 280 and I-394, will be closed for resurfacing until 5 a.m. Monday. The recommended detour from westbound I-94 is northbound 280 to northbound I-35W to westbound I-694 to westbound I-94. From northbound I-35W, the recommended detour is west on the Crosstown (Hwy. 62), north on Hwy. 100 and east on I-394 back to westbound I-94.
Both directions of I-94 and I-35E through downtown St. Paul will also close for the weekend because of construction of a light-rail transit bridge. I-35E will be closed between 10th Street/Wacouta Avenue and 11th Street; I-94 will be closed between 5th Street/10th Street and the ramp to 12th Street.
The St. Paul closure schedule:
• Eastbound I-94 and northbound I-35E will be closed all weekend and reopen by 5 a.m. Monday.
• Westbound I-94 and southbound I-35E will be closed all weekend and reopen by 5 a.m. Monday.
• The ramp from northbound Hwy. 52 to westbound I-94 will be closed.
Recommended St. Paul detours:
• Eastbound I-94: Northbound Hwy. 280 to eastbound Hwy. 36 to southbound I-35E and back to eastbound I-94.
• Westbound I-94: Northbound I-35E to westbound I-694 and back to westbound I-94 in Brooklyn Center.
• Northbound I-35E: Eastbound I-494 in Eagan to northbound Hwy. 61 in Newport to westbound I-94 and back to northbound I-35E.
• Southbound I-35E: Eastbound I-94 to southbound Hwy. 61 to westbound I-494 in Newport and back to southbound I-35E in Eagan.
Also, in Minneapolis, the ramp from N. 3rd Street to westbound I-94 near Target Field will be closed for bus shoulder improvements. Motorists should take northbound Washington Avenue to W. Broadway and re-enter westbound I-94 there.
For more information, including maps, go to www.mndot.gov/fullclosures.
Bill McAuliffe • 612-673-7646