Nov. 5, 2006: After two years, Father Tim finds his voice

  • Article by: MAURA LERNER , Star Tribune
  • Updated: November 6, 2006 - 3:42 PM

Thirty months after suffering a head injury in Iraq, the Catholic priest -- so seriously wounded that doctors at first thought he wouldn't survive -- is now talking.

On Oct. 26, Phyllis Vakoc of Plymouth got a phone call from her son's hospital room.

"Be quiet, don't say anything and be patient," a friend on the other end of the line told her. Puzzled, Vakoc waited. And then she heard her son's voice.

"Hi, Mom," he said, and she froze. It had been two and a half years since her son had suffered a devastating head injury in Iraq. Two and a half years since he had spoken. "I thought I was hearing things," she said last week. "I thought I'd never hear that voice again."

The Rev. H. Timothy Vakoc, a Catholic priest, was so seriously wounded that doctors at first thought he wouldn't survive. But in recent days, he has started to speak, to the astonished delight of family, friends and caretakers.

So far, it's only a few words at a time, and a struggle at that. But medical experts call it a significant breakthrough.

"Nobody ever expected him to live. Nobody ever expected this to happen," said his sister, Anita Brand.

Their faith, though, helped sustain the whole family. "I have always held out hope."

Vakoc (pronounced VAH-kitch), 46, has spent most of the last two years at the Minneapolis Veterans Medical Center in what doctors call a "minimally responsive" state. He needs round-the-clock care, and he can't move much more than his left arm, hands, and a few muscles in his face and neck.

In recent months, family, friends and hospital staff saw signs, often subtle, that he was becoming increasingly alert. But he had not spoken since the explosion. No one could be certain how much of his mental function was still intact.

"All of a sudden Tim was on the phone and he was talking to me," said his mother, Phyllis, 80. "He said 'Mom.' He said 'goodbye.' He said a lot of things in between I couldn't catch. For two and a half years we've been waiting. We've been praying for a miracle."

Jim Schumacher, a speech therapist who has been working with Vakoc since May, heard him speak the next day. "I was thrilled," he said.

Father Tim, as he's known, grew up in Robbinsdale and was a parish priest before joining the Army. He was a chaplain in Bosnia and Germany before heading to Iraq in 2003. He was known as a funny guy with a wry sense of humor -- there's a picture of him in sunglasses and fatigues, holding two fingers behind another soldier's head.

In Iraq, he held prayer services for fallen soldiers and escorted them to the plane home, his mother said.

He was struck by a roadside bomb shortly after saying mass for troops near Mosul. The bomb shattered his left eye and pierced his skull, severely damaging his brain. It was May 29, 2004, the 12th anniversary of his ordination as a priest.

For months, he lay in critical condition at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington. He was transferred to the Minneapolis VA hospital two years ago, and has been there longer than any other soldier wounded in the war.

Just three weeks ago, one of his doctors said she thought he'd never speak again. The hospital was preparing to cut off his speech therapy because they had seen no progress.

And then he spoke.

His sister Anita stops short of using the word miracle. "We don't want to turn Tim's room into a shrine," she said.

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions


Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters






question of the day

Poll: How will the Wild-Blues series end?

Weekly Question