A picture of the missing and a timetable to build emerge

As police released an official list of the vanished, the state said it wants to start work in October.

view larger photos

  

Hours after President Bush visited Minneapolis to view the scene of the Interstate 35W bridge collapse, Minneapolis police on Saturday released an official list of eight people who are still missing. But they cautioned that the number may rise.

The missing were identified as:

• Christine Sacorafas, 45, who was on her way to teach a Greek folk dancing class.

• Greg Jolstad, 45, a construction worker on the bridge.

• Peter Hausmann, 47, a former missionary heading to pick up a friend.

• Somali immigrant Sadiya Sahal, 23, a pregnant nursing student traveling with her 2-year-old daughter, Hanah.

Police also included Richard Chit, Vera Peck and Scott Sathers but offered no information.

Also, the state declared it intends to start work in October on a replacement bridge and complete it by the end of 2008. It's an effort that Bush endorsed.

"We want to get this bridge rebuilt as quick as possible," Bush said during a three-hour visit to Minneapolis that included an aerial view of the bridge, which collapsed Wednesday, killing at least five and perhaps trapping others under water or under bridge debris. But speaking at a lock and dam next to the devastation, Bush said, "I make no promises on the timetable."

However, the state kicked the process into high gear Saturday, asking interested construction firms nationwide to prove by Wednesday that they could do the job, then knuckle down and compete for a contract to design and build the new bridge.

"This schedule is unique for Minnesota, highly unusual. But it's been done elsewhere," said Bob McFarlin, the Minnesota Department of Transportation's assistant to the commissioner for policy and public affairs.

Under the plan, the state will begin removing the bridge for federal investigators to examine as soon as officials have recovered the victims.

"At the same time, we'll be working on 'design-and-build' proposals with potential bidders, and we'd like to award the contract before mid-September," McFarlin said.

"Then it's our hope -- some of this is very fluid -- but it's our hope to begin construction in October and complete it next year," he said.

Car pulled from river

But that won't start until the recovery effort ends. Authorities could not say Saturday when that will happen or what caused the collapse. Divers searched from about 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday.

A car was removed from the river Saturday, the only one for which the driver has not been accounted, said Hennepin County Sheriff Rich Stanek. It was upside down on the riverbed and was removed by a crane on a barge and turned over to police.

Late Saturday, Minneapolis police Capt. Mike Martin said the car was likely driven by one of the people on the list of the missing.

  • related content

  • A life-saving bike ride

    Saturday August 4, 2007

    Dan Schueller was coming home on his bike when the I-35W bridge collapsed. He was one of the first people on the scene and helped a number of people off...

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

question of the day

Poll: Do you like the Twins' offseason moves so far?

Weekly Question

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Close