• 230,000 people killed
• 300,000 injured
• 1.5 million people displaced
• $14 billion in damage
• 1 million still live in makeshift shelters in hundreds of camps.
• Less than 5 percent of the debris has been cleared, and bodies are still being found in the rubble.
• 3,000 died from a cholera outbreak in October.
• $1,500 per person was spent by international nonprofit groups last year on tents, shelters, latrines, showers, water and medical services for the 1.5 million displaced.
• 60 percent of $1.3 billion Americans contributed still unspent.
• More than $5.6 billion was pledged at a March 31 donors conference for a period of 18 months. Only $1.28 billion has been delivered. The United States originally pledged $1.15 billion for 2010, but moved nearly its entire pledge to 2011 after delays in Congress and by the Obama administration.
President Obama issued a statement Tuesday praising humanitarian efforts in Haiti but noted that progress in reconstruction has been too slow.
"Too much rubble continues to clog the streets, too many people are still living in tents, and for so many Haitians progress has not come fast enough," Obama said. He said "Haiti can and must lead the way" but added: "The international community must now fulfill the pledges it has made to ensure a strong and sustained long-term effort."
The U.S.-based RAND organization said the rubble must be cleared to allow for reconstruction. Problems include Haitian workers not being supplied with boots, gloves and hard hats, and heavy equipment being blocked by Haitian customs. The government has also not designated sufficient dumping space, the RAND report said.
"Unless rubble is cleared expeditiously, hundreds of thousands of Haitians will still be in tent camps during the 2011 hurricane season," which runs from June through November, it said.