While most pro and college sports teams in the Twin Cities market are struggling to various degrees, one that is not is the Gophers hockey team. Don Lucia's men are 7-1 and rated No. 5 in both major national polls.
There are plenty of questions surrounding them:
1. Are they for real? They haven't played the toughest schedule yet.
2. Can they keep doing what they are doing -- they have the nation's best power play and have scored at least one goal in 24 of 25 periods.
3. The past two seasons, the Gophers have not had a 20-goal scorer. This year they could have several? What's changed?
4. Who will the Gophers sign next week?
5. Will the Sioux-Gophers series continue after next season?
6. Does it look like a good decision to give Don Lucia an extension now?
OK, those are just a few to start you thinking. ... Hopefully we can provide a few answers starting at high noon.
Roman Augustoviz spends Minnesota's winters covering college hockey, specifically the Gophers, and other University of Minnesota sports. During the summer, he writes about the WNBA's Minnesota Lynx, with a dose of U sports sprinkled in. Follow @RomanStrib on Twitter. E-mail Roman.
It takes a certain sort of magic for a presidential debate to shift a race, it seems, some weird alchemy combining ingredients like viewership and mistakes and perceptions and medium. It's almost never about policy.