Escape Artists offers up a global discourse ranging from great finds close to home to adventures far afield. You'll find weekly travel deals here, too. Share your road wisdom, rave about great finds and rant about roadblocks that get in the way of a great trip.

Contributor: Travel editor Kerri Westenberg.

Email us with tips and questions.

Posts about International travel

Passport for baby

Posted by: Kerri Westenberg Updated: September 30, 2011 - 1:34 PM

An expectant mother recently asked about getting a passport for her yet-to-be-born baby. She's wondering how quickly she can get it done as she's due in early October and hopes to bring the newborn overseas for the Christmas holiday.

I went to the resident expert, Robert DeWitt, director of the Minneapolis Passport Agency.

“Babies can get passports the minute they are born,” he said. That enthusiasm notwithstanding, in practice it’s a different matter.

To get a passport for a minor, the child must be present at the time of the application and so should both parents. If one parent can’t be there, though — because she’s recovering in the hospital, for instance — the other can bring along a completed, notarized “statement of consent.” Filling that out and getting it notarized before the hospital visit, though, would require the impossible (or a leap of faith): knowing the minor’s name and birth date.

Her best best is to drive as a new family to a “passport acceptance facility,” such as a government service center or a post office, once she and the babe are dismissed from the hospital. She'll need the baby’s birth certificate, both parents’ IDs and a passport photo for the baby, which she may be able to obtain through the hospital or the passport facility.
Since she is due in early October, she should have no problem getting the passport in her hands before the family departs in December. Routine passport applications are being processed in four to six weeks.

Anyone in urgent need of a passport can head to the Minneapolis Passport Agency. This office, at 212 3rd Av. S., can process applications within a few days, but should be used only by the truly desperate. The fee for an expedited passport is $60 in addition to the cost of the passport itself, which is $105 for a minor.
Click here for more information and to print passport application forms.

Tips for crossing the border

Posted by: Kerri Westenberg Updated: May 31, 2011 - 11:41 AM

Heading out of the country anytime soon? Here are tips for crossing the border sent from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

• Tip #1 – To avoid fines and penalties associated with importing prohibited items, travelers should familiarize themselves with the “Know Before You Go” section of the CBP website

• Tip #2 – Be prepared to declare all items acquired abroad. Travelers should prepare for the inspection process before arriving at the inspection booth and have their approved travel documents ready.

• Tip #3 –Monitor border wait times for various ports of entry. Travelers can find wait time information at the CBP website. To experience shorter wait times, travelers can use ports of entry during periods of lighter traffic or less heavily traveled ports of entry during periods of heavy travel.

• Tip #4 – Build extra time into the trip in the event of crossing during periods of exceptionally heavy traffic.

• Tip #5 – Know the difference between goods for personal use versus commercial use. For more details, go here.

• Tip #6 –Do not attempt to bring fruits, meats, dairy/poultry products and/or firewood into the U.S. without first checking whether they are permitted. More info here.

• Tip # 7 – International border crossers should expect a thorough inspection process, even during busy holiday periods, when entering the U.S. CBP officers are authorized to conduct enforcement examinations, ranging from checking luggage to a personal search, without a warrant.

• Tip #8 – If you are a frequent cross-border traveler and haven’t already become a member of a trusted traveler program, sign up now.

Travels with local chefs

Posted by: Kerri Westenberg Updated: May 10, 2011 - 8:13 AM

A reader recently wrote this e-mail:  "I know Lucia Watson [chef/owner of Lucia’s Restaurant in Minneapolis] has a place in France that she rents out. There’s a link from the restaurant’s homepage. Do you know of any other Minnesota chefs who offer vacation rentals? I think it would be really interesting to stay at one of their places."

It was cause for a delicious exploration. This is what I found: My Taste section colleagues and I don’t know of any other local chefs that offer vacation rentals, though there are a couple of foodie tours you might want to consider.
Before we get to that, a bit about Watson’s French getaway, Mason de Granit: The three-bedroom, stone rowhouse is in Brittany, on France’s northwest coast. As you might imagine, the kitchen is a cook’s dream, with stone walls, a center island and a comfortable round table (though there are other places to eat, with a grand dining room and a terrace with a large wooden table). Rates are $1,600 for five nights, beginning on Monday or Tuesday, and $2,300 for nine nights, beginning on Friday or Saturday. The rental’s website provides more details on the house and the area, plus a peak at what Watson did during her last trip there (sea kayaking) and a few Breton-inspired recipes.
On two tours that feature local cooks, you trade the pleasure of cooking in a chef’s kitchen for perhaps a bigger one: cooking with a chef.
Michael Rostance, top toque at Broders’ Pasta Bar in Minneapolisleads small-group tours in Umbria, Italy. Participants stay in a 14th century palazzo in Spoleto and take daytrips around the region. “We take cooking lessons, hunt truffles, taste wine and new olive oil, make cheese and just enjoy the hospitality and serenity of the ‘green heart of Italy,’” Rostance wrote in an e-mail. The next trip is scheduled for November 3-13 by The Umbrian Table.

For a trip closer to home, consider taking a tour of the Apostle Islands with local food writer Beth Dooley. During the morning, you’ll kayak, hike or hang on a beach. In the afternoon, you’ll visit small local farms and fisheries, stocking up for the campfire cooking to come. The August 4-7 trip is hosted by Minneapolis-based tour operator Wilderness Inquiry.

Renting a car in Ireland

Posted by: Kerri Westenberg Updated: June 2, 2010 - 1:33 PM

Q We plan to travel in Ireland with another couple in September. Any recommendations for a car rental company? Type of car? Any restrictions for age of driver? Minnesota license valid to drive in Ireland? Suggestions for insurance coverage for rental car? I heard a certain credit card is needed. Please help.

A Let’s dispense with the easy stuff first. A Minnesota driver’s license is all you need to legally get behind the wheel in the Republic of Ireland, provided you’re at least 23 years old and have had your license for more than two years. Until recently, no one over 75 could rent a car on the Emerald Isle, but an elderly gent contested that law in court and won. (Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, so different rules apply.)
According to Ruth Moran of Tourism Ireland, Hertz, Avis and other U.S. car rental companies operate in Ireland along with a host of reputable Irish companies, such as Dooley Car Rentals. A list of companies approved by the Car Rental Council of Ireland and their contact information is at the official website of Tourism Ireland. There are a few things to consider when deciding on a type of car. Those with manual transmissions will likely cost less; it’s Europe, after all, where stick shifts reign, according to Brennan Breene of the tour operator Get an automatic anyway, suggests Laurie Hertzel, Star Tribune senior books editor and author of several Ireland stories for these pages. You’ll be driving on the other side of the road, and that may be challenge enough. Plus, “you have to deal with the gear shift on the left instead of the right,” she says.
Keep in mind that country and village roads are narrow, says Breene. “If you were to rent a typical American full-size car, you would be miserable driving in Ireland, navigating the narrow streets,” he said. Plus, the price of fuel is significantly higher there.
As for insurance, check with your existing credit card company to see if they offer coverage in Ireland, and ask what any deductible might be. Visa, Mastercard and American Express generally offer coverage, but exact conditions depend upon the issuing bank. Breene warned, however, that some rental car companies in Ireland do not accept credit card coverage, in which case you would need to purchase the coverage they offer. Moran was unaware of any such cases. Be on the safe side and check the policy of your rental car company.
One last bit of advice from Hertzel, our resident Ireland expert: Avoid driving in cities since it’s very busy and confusing and roundabouts are plentiful and nerve-wracking. Outside of towns, be prepared to share the narrow, winding roads with bicylists, tour buses and fast-driving natives. Also, drinking-and-driving laws are very strict. “All that said, I have driven through Ireland at least five times and never had an accident, never ran anyone off the road, never got a ticket. It’s a beautiful way to see the countryside.”


A look at Paris in the round

Posted by: Kerri Westenberg Updated: March 24, 2010 - 10:48 AM

Ah, Paris in springtime. It's everyone's dream even if it's not within everyone's grasp. Check out Paris 26 Gigapixels, which offers a 360-degree tour of the city complete with information on key sites and hokey Parisian background music.


Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters