Escape Artists offers up a global discourse ranging from great finds close to home to adventures far afield. You'll find weekly travel deals here, too. Share your road wisdom, rave about great finds and rant about roadblocks that get in the way of a great trip.

Contributor: Travel editor Kerri Westenberg.

Email us with tips and questions.

Posts about Passports

Passport fees set to rise

Posted by: Kerri Westenberg Updated: July 1, 2010 - 3:00 PM




If you need to get or renew a passport, now is the time to act. The State Department will raise the fees effective July 13. After that date, a traditional passport book for an adult will cost $135, up from $100; the charge for children under age 16 will rise to $105, up from $85. Those amounts include a $25 execution fee retained by the agency where the paperwork is filed. The fee for renewing a passport will be $110, up from $75. Passport cards, used by Americans traveling by land or sea to Canada, Mexico and parts of the Caribbean, will also cost more: $55 for an adult, up from $45, and $40 for a child, up from $35. According to the State Department, the higher fees more closely reflect what it costs to provide services to Americans overseas and to run domestic passport agencies. For more information on how to obtain a passport, go to


Travel Q&A

Posted by: Kerri Westenberg Updated: December 14, 2009 - 3:41 PM

I will be traveling out of state soon, and would like to apply for a passport while I’m gone. Can I do that outside of my state of residence? Because the federal government issues passports, you can apply for one in any state. Once processed, passports are mailed to your home, no matter where you originated the process. Furthermore, more than 9,000 public government offices across the country, including libraries and post offices, accept applications. You can find a convenient location by plugging in your zip code (or the zip code of the place you’ll be visiting) at this site. Be sure to bring what you’ll need: for first-timers, that will include a completed DS-11 form; evidence of U.S. citizenship, such as an expired, undamaged passport, a valid driver’s license or a naturalization certificate; a photocopy of the identification; and two passport photos. If you are renewing a passport, you can do so entirely by mail provided your original passport was issued when you were age 16 or older, was issued within the last 15 years, and was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change. Renewing by mail requires form DS-82. For more information and to access the forms to complete online or to download, go to State Department Web site here.  





Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters