PENNE WITH BROCCOLI, RAISINS AND NUTS
From JeanMarie Brownson of the Chicago Tribune.
• 1/4 c. olive oil
• 1 large (10-oz.) sweet onion, quartered, thinly sliced
• 1 c. raisins
• 1/2 c. nuts, such as slivered almonds, pecans or cashews
• 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
• 2 broccoli crowns, about 13 oz. total, ends trimmed, stalks peeled
• 1/2 lb. whole-wheat penne pasta
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often, until richly golden and tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in raisins, nuts, garlic, salt and pepper flakes. Remove from heat.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli; cook until fork-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a cutting board. Now add the pasta to the boiling water; cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut the broccoli into 1-inch pieces; add to the skillet. Scoop about 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water into the skillet. Drain the pasta; put into large bowl. Turn the skillet to high; heat everything to very hot, then stir into the pasta. Toss to mix.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 561 Fat 21 g Sodium 322 mg