QUINOA SALAD WITH ROASTED CARROTS
Note: From Melissa Clark.
• 1 leek, trimmed
• 3/4 c. plus 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for frying leeks and for serving
• Kosher salt and black pepper
• 2 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
• 2 1/2 tbsp. pomegranate molasses, plus more for serving
• 2 lb. carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-in.-thick coins
• 2 c. uncooked quinoa (13 oz.)
• 1/3 c. dried currants
• 6 oz. fresh arugula
Cut leek in half lengthwise and rinse away any grit. Slice thinly.
In a small skillet over medium heat, warm 1/4 inch olive oil in pan. Add a handful of leeks and fry until golden brown, 15 to 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Repeat with remaining leeks.
In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, molasses, 1 teaspoon salt and a large pinch of pepper. Whisk in 3/4 cup oil.
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Toss carrots with 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt and some pepper. Spread on 1 or 2 large baking sheets so they fit in one layer. Roast carrots, tossing occasionally, until tender and golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes.
While carrots roast, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add quinoa and cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain.