TOFU SLOPPY JOES
Don’t eat meat? This vegan Joe substitutes tofu. But no worries — it’s just as flavorful and messy, thanks to a rich, delicious tomato-based barbecue sauce. Jalapeño slices add zing. From “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Low-Fat Vegan Cooking” by Bo Rinaldi.
• 1 tbsp. virgin coconut oil or vegetable oil
• 1 small sweet onion, diced (about 1/2 c.)
• 1/2 medium green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, and diced (1/2 c.)
• 2 small cloves garlic, minced
• 16 oz. extra-firm tofu, crumbled (2 c.)
• 1/2 tsp. sea salt
• 3 c. Kansas City Barbecue Sauce (see recipe, which must be doubled)
• 8 hamburger buns, regular or gluten-free
• 12 jarred thin sweet pickle slices
• 16 pickled jalapeño slices
In large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and pepper and sauté for about 6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
In same skillet, sauté tofu and sea salt for about 8 minutes or until browned.
Add cooked onions, peppers and garlic to pan, and pour in Kansas City Barbecue Sauce. Stir to combine, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Divide tofu mixture among buns and top each with 2 slices sweet pickle and 2 slices jalapeño.