ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS IN CUCUMBER CUPS
Note: From “Feel Good Food,” by Giada De Laurentiis.
• 1 (15-oz.) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
• 1/2 c. diced jarred roasted red bell peppers
• 1 tbsp. tahini (sesame seed paste)
• 1 large garlic clove, peeled
• 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
• 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
• 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
• Pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
• 2 hothouse cucumbers, ends trimmed
• Fresh flat-leaf parsley, cilantro, or mint leaves, for serving, optional
In a food processor, combine the beans, roasted peppers, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper, if using.
Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl if needed. Transfer the hummus to a small bowl.
Run the tines of a fork down the length of each cucumber several times, turning to make ridges about 1/8-inch deep in the skin all the way around. Cut the cucumbers crosswise into 1-inch rounds, for a total of at least 12.
Using the smaller end of a melon baller or a small round measuring spoon, scoop out part of the center of each cucumber round to form a hollow. Use a small spoon (or a pastry bag fitted with a star tip) to fill each cup with hummus, mounding it slightly over the top. Tuck a small fresh parsley, cilantro or mint leaf into the side of the filling as a garnish, if desired. Arrange the cups on a platter and serve.