easy caprese pizza bake
From second-prize winner Sheila Suhan of Scottdale, Pa.
• 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 lb. bulk sweet Italian sausage
• 4 c. pizza sauce
• 1/2 c. fresh basil leaves, chopped, divided
• 1 can Pillsbury Grands Jr. Golden Layers refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
• 20 fresh mozzarella ciliegine (cherry-size) cheese balls (from an 8-oz. container)
• 1/4 c. (1 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a 12-inch skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in pizza sauce, 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup of basil leaves. Cook until thoroughly heated.
Meanwhile, separate dough into 10 biscuits; separate each biscuit into 2 layers to create 20 biscuits. Place 1 cheese ball in center of each biscuit. Carefully stretch dough around cheese; pinch edges to seal completely.
Pour meat sauce into ungreased 9x13-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish. Place biscuits, seam sides down, on top of sauce. Brush tops of biscuits with remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil. Bake until biscuits are golden brown and sauce is bubbly, 13 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with shredded cheese and remaining 1/4 cup basil and serve.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 700 Fat 42 g Sodium 2140 mg Saturated fat 17 g
Carbs 50 g Protein 31 g Cholesterol 75 mg Dietary fiber 4 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 vegetable, 2½ bread/starch, ½ other carb, 2 high-fat meat, 4 fat.