Black Bean, Corn and Guacamole Wrap √
Once you’ve made the Pico de Gallo, the rest of this dish comes together in a snap. From Meredith Deeds.
• 6 (8-in.) fat-free flour tortillas
• 1 1/2 c. guacamole (see recipe)
• 3 c. shredded lettuce
• 3 c. Black Bean and Corn Salad (see recipe)
• 1/2 c. pico de gallo (see recipe)
On each tortilla, spread 1/4 cup of guacamole. Top with 1/2 cup of lettuce, 1/2 cup of Black Bean and Corn Salad and 2 tablespoons of pico de gallo. Wrap and serve.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 280 Fat 8 g Sodium 450 mg
Carbohydrates 48 g Saturated fat 1 g Calcium 107 mg
Protein 11 g Cholesterol 0 mg Dietary fiber 12 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 vegetable, 3 bread/starch, 1½ fat.
Black Bean and Corn Salad √
Makes approximately 3 cups
From Meredith Deeds.
• 1 c. Pico de Gallo (see recipe)
• 1 (15-oz.) can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 1/2 c. frozen corn kernels, thawed
Mix all the ingredients together in a medium bowl.
Nutrition information per serving of ½ cup:
Calories 105 Fat 1 g Sodium 43 mg
Carbohydrates 21 g Saturated fat 0 g Calcium 19 mg
Protein 6 g Cholesterol 0 mg Dietary fiber 6 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 vegetable, 1 bread/starch.
Pico de Gallo √
Makes 3 cups.
While you can certainly make this salsa in a food processor if you’re in a hurry, the result tends to be a uniformily pinkish mixture that’s not nearly as appealing as the fresh salad-like appearance you get if you use a knife to chop up the ingredients. From Meredith Deeds.
• 1 to 1 1/2 lb. ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
• 1/2 c. finely chopped red onion
• 1/3 c. finely chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
• 1 small clove garlic, minced
• 1 to 3 tbsp. minced jalapeño or serrano chiles, or to taste
• 1/4 tsp. salt
Combine all ingredients in medium bowl, using as many or as few minced chiles as your palate demands; toss to blend well. Season to taste with salt. Let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
Nutrition information per serving of 2 tablespoons:
Calories 5 Fat 0 g Sodium 26 mg
Carbohydrates 1 g Saturated fat 0 g Calcium 3 mg
Protein 0 g Cholesterol 0 mg Dietary fiber 0 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: Free food.
Makes about 1 ½ cups.
• 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
• 1/3 c. pico de gallo
• 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
• Pinch of salt