Serves 4 to 6.
Note: This sandwich must be prepared in advance. From Melissa Clark.
• 1 (14-in.) long ciabatta loaf, split in half lengthwise
• Extra-virgin olive oil
• Sea salt and black pepper, as needed
• 2 (6- or 7-oz.) cans of tuna (preferably packed in oil), drained
• 1/4 c. sliced pitted olives
• 8 anchovies, chopped
• 1 tbsp. drained capers
• 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
• 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
• White wine vinegar, as needed
• 1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced
• 7 basil leaves
Drizzle bread with oil and season with salt and pepper.
Break tuna into chunks and spread over bottom of bread. Scatter olives, anchovies and capers over tuna; top with onion and bell pepper. Drizzle with more oil and sprinkle with vinegar to taste. Lay tomato slices over sandwich. Drizzle lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper. Tear basil leaves over sandwich and cover with other bread half.
Wrap sandwich tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap and cover with a dish towel. Weigh sandwich down with something heavy (books or heavy pots work well) for 2 to 4 hours at room temperature, flipping the sandwich halfway through. Unwrap, slice crosswise and serve.
Nutrition information per each of 6 servings:
Calories 320 Fat 12 g Sodium 790 mg
Carbohydrates 31 g Saturated fat 2 g Calcium 75 mg
Protein 21 g Cholesterol 13 mg Dietary fiber 2 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 2 bread/starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
HARICOTS VERTS, CORN AND CARROT SALAD WITH MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE
Serves 6 to 8.
• 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, more as needed
• 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
• 1 c. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 c. minced fresh chives
• Black pepper, as needed
• 1 lb. haricots verts or green beans, trimmed
• 2 2/3 c. cooked fresh corn kernels (from about 4 corn cobs)
• 1/2 lb. carrot, peeled and coarsely grated (2 c.)
In a small bowl, whisk together salt, vinegar, garlic and mustard. Whisking constantly, slowly whisk in oil until incorporated. Whisk in chives and pepper.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Drop in haricots verts and cook until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, cool and chop into bite-size pieces.
In a large bowl, toss together haricots verts, corn and carrot. Toss in dressing and season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition information per each of 8 servings:
Calories 316 Fat 28 g Sodium 290 mg
Carbohydrates 17 g Saturated fat 4 g Calcium 33 mg
Protein 3 g Cholesterol 0 mg Dietary fiber 3 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 bread/starch, 5½ fat.
LEMON POPPY SEED POUNDCAKE
• Butter, for greasing pan
• 1 3/4 c. flour, more for pan
• Zest of 2 lemons
• 1 c. sugar
• 1/2 c. buttermilk
• 3 tbsp. plus 4 tsp. lemon juice, divided
• 3 eggs
•1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
• 1/4 tsp. baking soda
• 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
• 2/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tbsp. poppy seeds
• 1/2 c. powdered sugar
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour an 8-inch loaf pan.