• 2 eggs
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 1/2 tsp. minced herbs (dried fines herbes or fresh parsley, oregano, tarragon, marjoram or thyme)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter 2 ramekins well and pour 1 tablespoon cream in each. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon lemon zest and 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese over the cream in each ramekin. Salt and pepper to taste.
Crack 1 egg into a cup and carefully pour it into a ramekin (this is to assure that the egg yolk doesn’t break or have a spot on it; if it does, use another egg); repeat with remaining egg into second ramekin. Pour the remaining tablespoons of cream over the eggs. Scatter herbs over the top. Bake for 12 to 16 minutes (about 15 minutes for the white to be cooked, but the yolk will still be soft and a bit runny).
• Add lemon zest to the top of egg before it’s cooked.
• Add salsa or Asian chile sauce over eggs when they come out of the oven.
• Prosciutto-wrapped: Place a paper-thin slice of prosciutto in each ramekin (cut to assure it fits the dish without overhanging) and bake for 10 minutes. Continue with recipe, first warming cream before adding it to ramekin. Add egg and seasoning.
• Ham (or prosciutto) and mushrooms: Finely chop ham, mushrooms and green onions. Toss with a little brie and place mixture in ramekins. Top with egg and additional cheese over egg and bake.
• Florentine: Spread 1 tablespoon chopped cooked spinach on bottom of each ramekin. Top with egg and 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 171 Fat 12 g Sodium 290 mg
Carbohydrates 3 g Saturated fat 6 g Calcium 154 mg
Protein 12 g Cholesterol 210 mg Dietary fiber 1 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat.