Creamy Hummus Dip
Makes 2 cups.
Note From “Kitchenability 101: The College Student’s Guide to Easy, Healthy, and Delicious Food,” by Nisa Burns.
• 1 (16-oz.) can cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
• 2 fresh garlic cloves
• 3 tbsp. lemon juice
• 1/4 c. tahini (sesame seed paste)
• 1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil
• Salt and black pepper to taste
• Pita bread or cut vegetables for dipping.
Combine the chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth.
Serve the hummus with pita bread or assorted veggies, such as carrots, celery, cucumbers, or green or red bell peppers.
Nutrition information per ¼ cup serving:
Calories 190 Fat 14 g Sodium 63 mg Saturated fat 2 g
Carbohydrates 13 g Calcium 53 mg
Protein 5 g Cholesterol 0 mg Dietary fiber 3 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 bread/starch, 3 fat.