Note: If preferred, substitute 4 cups chopped fresh broccoli instead of frozen. From “Soup’s On,” by Valerie Phillips.
• 3 tbsp. butter
• 3 tbsp. flour
• 2 (14.5-oz.) cans (3 1/2 c.) chicken or vegetable stock
• 2 c. milk or half-and-half
• 1 large chopped onion
• 2 (12-oz.) pkg. frozen chopped broccoli, or broccoli cuts, thawed (see Note)
• 2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• Pinch ground nutmeg
• 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese or sour cream, for garnish
Melt butter over medium heat in a 4- to 6-quart stockpot.
Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes, to make a roux.
Add stock, milk, onion and broccoli and stir well. Turn up the heat and allow mixture to come to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Reduce the heat to medium-low, and let mixture cook until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool a few minutes. Purée until smooth in 2 batches in a stand blender, or with a hand-held blender.
Return to pot and add the Cheddar, stirring until cheese is melted. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.