• Juice of 1/2 lemon along with 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin and chopped fresh hot red chiles or a pinch of hot red pepper flakes.
• Finely minced fresh green herbs, such as basil, dill, fennel tops, chervil, sage, lovage, borage or others.
Taste and add salt and freshly ground black or white pepper after dressing the beans. Whatever the flavors or garnishes, however, the beans should be sprinkled with minced parsley before serving. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Nutrition information per each of 8 servings:
Calories 180 Fat 7 g Sodium 7 mg Saturated fat 1 g
Carbohydrates 23 g Calcium 87 mg
Protein 9 g Cholesterol 0 mg Dietary fiber 6 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1½ bread/starch, ½ lean meat, 1 fat.
Note: This Turkish dish has a lot of ingredients but it’s easy to cook and delicious. Drained yogurt is made by draining the yogurt in a cheesecloth-lined strainer for several hours. This dish keeps well for a few days in the refrigerator and benefits from being made ahead. From “Mediterranean Harvest: Vegetarian Recipes From the World’s Healthiest Cuisine,” by Martha Rose Shulman.
• 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 onions, sliced
• 4 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 tsp. cumin seeds, crushed
• 1 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed