MAC AND CHEESE WITH ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH √
Note: Panko bread crumbs are lighter and bigger than the traditional dry crumb, which could be substituted. Peel and remove the seeds of the butternut squash before cubing it. Cubed squash is sometimes pre-cut in the produce section Try serving this hearty vegetarian dish as an entree with a green salad on the side. From Meredith Deeds.
• 2 1/2 c. ( 1/2 -in.) cubed butternut squash (see Note)
• 3 tsp. olive oil, divided
• 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
• Freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 2 1/4 c. (1 percent) low-fat milk, divided
• 1 medium onion, sliced
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 12 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni
• 2 tbsp. flour
• 1 1/3 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
• 1/2 c. panko bread crumbs (see Note)
• 2 tbsp. grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place the squash on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the oil, season lightly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer and roast for 20 minutes. Turn squash over and continue to cook for another 20 minutes or until it is lightly browned. Set aside.