By Rick Nelson
We couldn't help notice that diners can't turn around in this town without running into a hamburger, and, frankly, it's getting a little old. That's why we've turned our attention to sandwiches. In this week's Taste we rave about 10 favorites (including the to-die-for roast beef sandwiches from Maverick's, above). Frankly, we could have easily rattled off several dozen more. In fact, here are 10 more don't-miss choices that we wish we could have run in the paper:
2. Pulled pork sandwiches - made using ultra-tender pork from Waseca, Minn. farmer Tim Fischer and stacked high on one of the kitchen's no-nonsense buttermilk buns at Lucia's To Go in Uptown Minneapolis. Get it with a side of purple cabbage. It's not always available, and trust us, absence truly makes the heart - and stomach- grow fonder.
3. Chef Isaac Becker’s bacon-egg-harissa marvel at 112 Eatery (112 N. 3rd St., Minneapolis, 612-343-7696, www.112eatery.com). He's never going to be able to retire it from his menu.
4. Any of the cheap and delicious banh mi at Jasmine Deli (2532 Nicollet Av. S., Minneapolis, 612-870-4700), my favorite cheap Vietnamese restaurant.
5. The divine heirloom tomato BLT at the Birchwood Cafe. Does summer get any better than that?
6. The over-the-top prime rib French dip at Manny’s Steakhouse.
7. Breakfast sandwich at the Good Day Cafe (5410 Wayzata Blvd., Golden Valley, 763-544-0205). Big, sloppy, perfect.
8 Walleye-bacon “Pop!uLure” sandwich at Pop!! (6 W. 6th St., St. Paul, 651-228-1002, www.poprestaurant.com). A fitting tribute to the state's official fish.
9. Meat loaf sandwich with pickled onions at Anodyne @ 43rd (4301 Nicollet Av. S., Minneapolis, 612-824-4300, www.anodynecoffeehouse.com). Old-fashioned goodness, done right.
10. Peppermint bon-bon ice cream sandwiches (made with chewy double-chocolate cookies from the Birchwood Cafe) at Izzy’s Ice Cream Cafe.
What are your favorites?
|Restaurant Bargains (4)||Holidays (45)|
|Deals (2)||Farmers markets (64)|
|Baking (58)||Chefs (99)|
|Cookbooks (40)||Cooking at the cabin (5)|
|Farmers and foraging (30)||Healthy eating (32)|
|Locally-produced food (64)||Minnesota newsmakers (127)|
|On the national scene (106)||Openings + closings (29)|
|Recipes (107)||Restaurant news (229)|
|Restaurant reviews (49)||Beer (1)|
|Food, beer, wine events (27)||TV food shows (26)|