Taste editor Lee Svitak Dean offers an easy recipe for a weekend meal.
JERK-LIGHT CHICKEN WITH PINEAPPLE SALSA
Note: Use caution when working with fresh chiles. Wash hands and work surface thoroughly upon completion; do not touch eyes or face. From "Melissa's Everyday Cooking With Organic Produce," by Cathy Thomas.
• 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
• 2 green onions, chopped, including dark green stalks
• 2 serrano chiles, unseeded, chopped
• 1/8 c. fresh lime juice
• 2 tbsp. soy sauce
• 11/2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 3/4 tbsp. salt
• 1 tbsp. packed dark brown sugar
• 1 tsp. ground allspice
• 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
• 21/2 lb. skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts and thighs
•1 tsp. honey
• 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
• 1/4 c. peeled, seeded, finely diced cucumber
• 1 c. finely diced fresh pineapple
• 1 tbsp. fresh mint
To prepare chicken: Place all marinade ingredients in blender; whirl until smooth. Place chicken in large zipper-style plastic bag with the marinade. Press out air and seal. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours, turning bag several times to redistribute marinade.
To prepare salsa: Combine all salsa ingredients in nonreactive container. Gently toss to combine and refrigerate, well sealed, up to 1 hour.
To prepare chicken: Take chicken out of refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange chicken in shallow baking pan; discard marinade. Roast 45 to 50 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Serve chicken
topped with salsa.
Poll: Which 2013 Taste Holiday Cookie Contest entry do you most want to try?