Add corn and 1/2 cup of water. Stir once or twice and cover the skillet. Reduce heat to medium and let the corn cook gently, stirring occasionally, until it is still juicy sweet when tasted and not overly cooked, 5 to 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, transfer cooled coconut to a spice grinder (or coffee grinder) and grind it to the consistency of slightly coarse black pepper. Add ground coconut spice blend to the corn along with the tomato and salt. Let it all simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the tomato is warmed through, about 1 minute. Serve warm.
Nutrition information per serving of 6:
Calories 170 Fat 9 g Sodium 310 mg
Carbohydrates 23 g Saturated fat 2 g Calcium 19 mg
Protein 4 g Cholesterol 0 mg Dietary fiber 4 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1½ bread/starch, 2 fat.
slumdog martini √
Note: From “Indian Cooking Unfolded.”
• 1/4 c. sugar
• 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
• 1 tsp. cumin seeds
• 1/2 c. firmly packed fresh mint leaves, divided
• 2 fresh green serrano chiles, stems discarded, coarsely chopped (do not remove seeds), divided
• 1/2 tsp. coarse kosher or sea salt, divided
• 2 c. crushed ice cubes, divided