Note: From “L.A.’s Original Farmers Market Cookbook,” by JoAnn Cianciulli (Chronicle Books, $22.95).
• 2 c. finely shredded cabbage
• 1 c. bean sprouts
• 1 green onion, white and green parts, finely chopped
• 1 medium carrot, shredded
• 1/2 small zucchini, shredded
• 1/4 c. flour
• 3 eggs, beaten
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Canola oil for brushing
• 1 1/2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
• 2 tbsp. soy sauce
• 1 tbsp. cornstarch
• 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Pat cabbage, bean sprouts, onion, carrot and zucchini with paper towels to remove any excess moisture. Spread vegetables on a baking pan to air-dry for about 1 hour (for patties to hold together, it is important that vegetables are completely dry).
Place vegetables in a large bowl, sprinkle with flour and toss with your hands to combine and coat evenly. Season eggs with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Fold eggs into vegetables. The mixture should look thick and feel sticky, almost like dough, and definitely have more vegetables than eggs.
Poll: Which 2013 Taste Holiday Cookie Contest entry do you most want to try?