Makes 2 salads.
Note: Adapt this to your child’s tastes. From “Best Lunch Box Ever,” by Katie Sullivan Morford.
• 2 c. chopped butter, red leaf or romaine lettuce
• 1/2 c. chopped tomato or 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1/2 large ripe avocado, cubed
• 2 or 3 slices smoked turkey, coarsely chopped
• 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
• 2 tbsp. crumbled blue cheese (very optional)
• 1 tsp. soy sauce
• 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
• 4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Divide lettuce between 2 large containers. In each container, arrange half the tomato, avocado, turkey, eggs and blue cheese in rows on top of the lettuce.
To make dressing, divide soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and olive oil between 2 small containers. Put on the lids and shake well.
Salad and dressing can be made the night before and stored in the refrigerator, but wait until morning to cut and add the avocado (toss it in lemon juice before you pack it, to keep it from discoloring). Be sure to give your child instructions for drizzling the dressing over the salad at lunchtime.
Nutrition information per salad:
Calories 276 Fat 21 g Sodium 560 mg
Carbs 10 g Sat fat 4 g Calcium 61 mg
Poll: Which 2013 Taste Holiday Cookie Contest entry do you most want to try?