Warm Shrimp Salad
Note: If you can’t find hazelnuts (also called filberts) without their skin, here’s how to remove it: Heat them in a 350-degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until skins begin to flake. Then roll them in a towel and rub the skin off. From “Mario Batali Italian Grill,” by Mario Batali.
• 2 lb. large shrimp (21-30 per lb.)
• 1/4 c. plus 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 2 tbsp. black olive paste (tapenade)
• 1 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
• 1 lb. green beans or haricots verts (skinny green beans), trimmed
• 1 c. (4 oz.) hazelnuts (also called filberts), coarsely chopped (see Note)
• 1 red onion, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced
• 2 red cayenne or other hot chile pepper, very thinly sliced
• Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
• About 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Preheat a gas grill or prepare a fire in a charcoal grill. Place either a cast-iron griddle or pan on the grill to preheat.
Place the shrimp in a bowl, add 3 tablespoons olive oil, the olive paste and red pepper flakes, and mix well with your hands to coat the shrimp. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Set up an ice bath. Drop the beans into the boiling water and cook just until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain and plunge into the ice bath to cool, then drain well.
Place the beans in a serving bowl, add the hazelnuts, red onion and chiles, and toss to mix; set aside.
Poll: Which 2013 Taste Holiday Cookie Contest entry do you most want to try?