SKILLET TAMALE PIE
Serves 4 to 6.
Note: If you can't find Ro-Tel tomatoes, substitute 21/2 cups diced tomatoes plus 2 minced jalapeños. From "The Best Simple Recipes," by the editors of America's Test Kitchen.
• 10 oz. store-bought cornbread, crumbled (about 21/2 c.)
• 3 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
• Salt and pepper
• 1 tsp. vegetable oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 tsp. minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
• 11/2 lb. (90 percent lean) ground beef
• 2 (16-oz.) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
• 2 (10-oz.) cans Ro-Tel tomatoes, drained, 1/3 c. juice reserved (see Note)
• 1/4 c. finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Combine cornbread, 11/2 cups cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in bowl.
Heat oil in large oven-safe skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Cook onion and chipotle until softened, about 5 minutes. Add beef and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in beans, tomatoes and reserved tomato juice, and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons cilantro and remaining cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange cornbread mixture evenly over filling. Bake until cornbread is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro.
Poll: Which 2013 Taste Holiday Cookie Contest entry do you most want to try?