Serves 6 to 8.
From "Perfect One-Dish Dinners," by Pam Anderson.
• 3 lb. boneless beef chuck, cut into 11/2 - to 2-in. cubes and patted dry
• 3 tbsp. vegetable or olive oil, divided
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into 6 pieces
• 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 6 pieces
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 3 large garlic cloves, minced
• 2 tbsp. sweet paprika
• 1 tbsp. ground cumin
• 1/4 tsp. saffron threads
• 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
• 1 c. chicken broth
• 1 c. dry red wine
• 1 (14.5-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
• 2 (16-oz.) cans chickpeas, drained
• 11/2 tsp. finely grated zest and juice from 1 large orange
With oven rack at lower-middle , preheat oven to 450 degrees. Heat a heavy soup kettle or a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven over low heat. Toss meat cubes and 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
A few minutes before cooking, add 1 tablespoon oil to pot and increase heat to a strong medium-high until wisps of smoke start to rise from the pan. Add peppers and cook, stirring until lightly browned and crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from pot; set aside.
Working in 2 batches, add meat and sear, turning only once, until both sides have a crust, 5 to 6 minutes per batch. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to hot empty pot, add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, paprika, cumin and saffron and cook, stirring until fragrant, about a minute. Whisk in flour, then broth, wine and tomatoes, seasoning with salt and pepper.
Return beef to pot. Place a sheet of heavy-duty foil over pot, pressing foil down so that it touches stew. Seal foil completely around edges. Place lid snugly on pot and cook until juices bubble. Set pot in oven and cook for 11/2 hours.
Remove pot from oven and set over low heat. Carefully remove foil and stir in peppers, chickpeas, orange zest and juice, and a little water, if necessary, to make gravy. Re-cover pot and simmer to blend flavors, about 5 minutes.
Poll: Which 2013 Taste Holiday Cookie Contest entry do you most want to try?