SUMMER SQUASH AND TOMATO CASSEROLE
Serves 6 to 8.
From "Not Your Mother's Casseroles," by Faith Durand.
- 3 medium-size zucchini, sliced crosswise into 1/4 -in.-thick coins
- 3 medium-size summer squash, sliced crosswise into 1/4 -in.-thick coins
- 1/3 c. olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 c. loosely packed fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano (leaves only)
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 c. bread crumbs
- 1/2 c. plus 1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease bottom of baking dish with olive oil. Toss zucchini and summer squash in large bowl with 1/3 cup olive oil, basil, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Lay half the sliced zucchini and squash in the bottom of baking dish, overlapping slices. Top with an overlapping layer of tomatoes, drizzle lightly with olive oil, and cover with 1/2 cup Parmesan. Add a layer of remaining zucchini and squash and one more layer of remaining tomatoes.
For bread crumb topping, mix bread crumbs, 1/3 cup Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl, and sprinkle thickly on top of casserole.
Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 35 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly and bread crumbs are browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Poll: Which 2013 Taste Holiday Cookie Contest entry do you most want to try?