TURKISH CHICKEN KEBABS
From "Weber's on the Grill: Chicken & Sides," by Jamie Purviance.
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 6 oz. each)
- 1 1/2 roasted red bell peppers (from a jar), drained
- 1/2 c. toasted walnuts
- 1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c. plain bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
In large bowl, mix mustard, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, cumin and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Add 1/4 cup oil and stir to combine.
Cut each chicken breast in half lengthwise and cut each half crosswise into 1- to 1 1/2 -inch pieces. Place chicken in bowl and turn to coat evenly. Skewer chicken pieces so they are touching but not crammed together. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
To make sauce: In food processor or blender, combine bell peppers, walnuts, 1/2 cup olive oil, bread crumbs, vinegar, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Process to create pesto-like consistency. To thin, add warm water.
Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350 to 450 degrees). Grill kebabs over direct medium heat, with lid closed as much as possible, until meat is firm to touch and opaque all the way to center, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once or twice. Remove from grill and serve warm with sauce.