TUSCAN-STYLE TUNA SALAD
From "The Big Summer Cookbook," by Jeff Cox.
- 2 (6-oz.) cans tuna packed in olive oil
- 1/2 c. good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. French tarragon, chopped
- 1/4 c. Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 small head fennel, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 c. diced red onion
- 1 lb. mixed summer greens (loose-leaf lettuce, radicchio, arugula, etc.)
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/2 c. pitted and sliced kalamata olives
Chill 6 salad plates
Drain oil from tuna into a large measuring cup. You should have about 1/4 cup. Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, tarragon and parsley, and mix well.
Into a bowl, lightly crumble tuna. Add fennel, celery, onion and about 1/2 cup dressing, and toss to coat. In second bowl, toss greens with remaining salad dressing.
Divide greens equally among chilled plates. Top with tuna mixture. Garnish plates with red pepper and olives.
Poll: Which 2013 Taste Holiday Cookie Contest entry do you most want to try?