One of our favorite trends of the season is the soft, loosefitting trouser. The new “soft pant” is more wearable than its predecessor, the harem pant, ever was. Loosefitting trousers, which look like glorified pajama pants, can be dressed up and worn to the office. How could you argue with that?
The only problem is that they can be tricky to style. Carly Gatzlaff, stylist and owner of À La Mode Wardrobe Consulting, shows us how.
1. If your soft pant has a wide leg, choose fitted items for the rest of your outfit and tuck in your shirt.
2. For a more casual look, play with color and pattern. For a work-appropriate look, stick to darker patterns or solids.
3. While they’re designed to have a loose fit, avoid a dated look (think harem or MC Hammer) by choosing pants that fit well through the waist and rear. The length should hit just above the ankle.
4. If you’re nervous to try this look, start with a wide-leg soft pant in a print for a summer classic look.
5. Finish with heels or wedges.
Angie, near right, is wearing soft pants ($69) and a tank ($39) from Loft and a vest ($30) and earrings ($12) from Primp. Jessie is wearing soft pants ($225) and a jacket ($72) from Minq and a black top ($60) from Primp. Styling by Carly Gatzlaff, hair and makeup by Mark Navarro.