His collaborations with the Strokes, Libertines and Yeah Yeah Yeahs made him the envy of indie-rockers everywhere. His dates with Kate Moss made him the envy of males everywhere. Here are the things that Har Mar Superstar himself is most proud of in his heretofore incredible career.
1. Performing at England's Reading and Leeds festivals: "They're where it all started for me over there. Last year at Reading, I played a tent that held 5,000 people, and there were like 10,000 trying to cram in there. This year, I played a tent for 10,000 people and it was even more packed."
2. Being on "The Jimmy Kimmel Show" on ABC: "It's the best talk show to be on because they give you so much freedom. They asked me to strip to my underwear, and I didn't even want to."
3. Getting shot by fashion photographer Terry Richardson: "It was last month in New York for a spread in ID magazine with [the Yeah Yeah Yeahs'] Karen O. I've always loved his work but never thought I'd be in it. We had a blast."
4. Meeting the Strokes in 2001: I was recording in Omaha and went to see them play with the guys from the Faint in Lawrence, Kansas. We went to a house party afterward. I was standing in a corner, and Julian [Casablancas, singer] came up to me, probably because I was the only one not trying to talk to him. After about 10 minutes of conversation, a girl walks by and says, "I love you, Har Mar!" and Julian is looking over my shoulder like, "Where's Har Mar?" He saw me play at the Mercury Lounge but was too drunk to remember. We've been good friends ever since."
5. DJ-ing at a club on the isle of Ibiza (off Spain): "I took the residency basically as a joke and didn't know it was the party island of [England's] rich and famous. I met more people there than I have at rock shows, like Duran Duran, the guys from Oasis, Jade Jagger. Every Monday for four months was too much. The consumption of chemicals made me depressed, but I went away with a whole fresh perspective."
Poll: Should felons be able to clear their records to help them get jobs?