Former Minneapolis school Superintendent Carol Johnson has landed in hot water in her current job in Boston.
According to the Boston Globe, there’s a petition drive by parents against Johnson after she admitted that she erred in not taking any action against a school headmaster (principal) after he was charged and then found guilty of beating his wife five weeks after she delivered their child. Johnson then wrote a glowing letter in support of him to the judge handling the case.
Minneapolitans will remember Johnson as the longest-tenured leader that city schools have had in the last 15 years. She led the Minneapolis district for six years, leaving in 2003. None of her successors has lasted more than three years. Johnson left Minneapolis for Memphis, and then in 2007 got Boston’s top job.
The petition drive is led by parents who previously were upset by some of Johnson’s other school decisions, the Globe reports. The matter came to light after the headmaster applied for a job in Memphis and someone leaked to reporters there that the man was on probation for domestic assault.
Johnson apologized for her handling of the 2011 incident, which erupted in early July, and the Globe reported that she issued a draft policy Friday that requires employees facing serious criminal charges to go on administrative leave.
Although at least one public official has been quoted by the Globe as calling for Johnson to quit, most key politicians seem to remain in her corner, as does a group of black ministers.
More from Star Tribune
More from MPLS.
A pair of fire stations on the city's North and South sides will host a gun turn-in program seeking to take hundreds of guns off the streets and turn them into works of art, city officials and the nonprofit group Pillsbury United Communities announced this week.
A Minneapolis police officer disarmed and arrested a man who allegedly pointed a gun at another man during a fight that broke out outside a downtown police station on Monday, authorities said.
Minneapolis police officials on Monday denied charges that their officers were ordered to "stand down" during protests last week outside a fundraiser for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump that produced a few tense moments, but no arrests.
A 20-year-old Brooklyn Park man has been charged with second-degree assault in the shooting of a 13-year-old girl in north Minneapolis' Camden neighborhood earlier this month, authorities said.
Four years after Minneapolis' plans to blow up downtown's Peavey Plaza ran into a historic preservation roadblock, city officials are ready for a new approach.
Recommended For You
St. Anthony officials drew widespread protests over his recent reinstatement.
More than half the people outside the government who met with Hillary Clinton while she was secretary of state gave money — either personally or through companies or groups — to the Clinton Foundation. It's an extraordinary proportion indicating her possible ethics challenges if elected president.
Yet Minnesota still tops the list of states where nearly all grads took test.
Each side blames the other as talks break off late Tuesday with no agreement.
Dave Van Hattum
We cannot stop pushing the Legislature on all modes of transportation to benefit all Minnesotans, but for this project, a federal deadline looms.