After a tough week for commuters navigating big traffic jams in downtown Minneapolis construction zones, a little levity is in order.
Leave it to the folks at the Twin Cities Pride Festival to oblige. The free celebration and Sunday’s parade on Hennepin Avenue might be the stress reliever motorists need. The Twin Cities Jazz Festival in St. Paul’s Mears Park may help soothe the soul.
Of course, both events will draw crowds and traffic, as will weekend Twins games at Target Field, Saints games at CHS Field and the Back to the ’50s car extravaganza at the State Fairgrounds. All freeways and highways leading to the fun will be open, but construction rolls on.
Here is where you will see orange cones marking lane and road closures.
1. Interstate 35W: Reduced to two southbound lanes from downtown to 43rd Street. Northbound is two lanes plus a MnPass lane up to 31st Street, then a third general traffic lane open to 3rd Street. MnPass northbound open to 31st Street. This setup will be in place until late 2019. Ramps from northbound I-35W to 11th Street and 5th Avenue and from 12th Street/4th Avenue to southbound closed.
2. Interstate 94: Westbound reduced to two lanes from Chicago Avenue to Nicollet Avenue until fall.
3. Penn Avenue N.: Closed for C-Line bus rapid transit line construction from 23rd to Lowry avenues.
4. Hennepin Avenue: Closed from 31st to 36th streets.
5. NE. Broadway Street: Closed from Stinson Boulevard to Industrial Boulevard until fall.
6. Wabasha Street: Closed from Plato Boulevard to Cesar Chavez Street.
7. Hwy. 149/Smith Avenue: The High Bridge over the Mississippi River is closed until December.
8. Snelling Avenue: Single lane between Randolph Avenue and Ford Parkway.
9. Hwy. 149/Dodd Road in West St. Paul: Closed from Hwy. 110 to Delaware Avenue from 9 p.m. Friday until 6 a.m. Monday.
10. Hwy. 95 in Afton: Closed both directions between Bailey Road and 70th Street.
11. Hwy. 95 in Stillwater: Closed both directions from Hwy. 36 to Nelson Street.
12. Interstate 35 in Forest Lake: Northbound reduced to two lanes from Hwy. 97 to Hwy. 8. Southbound periodic lane reductions.
13. Hwy. 10 in Elk River: Eastbound reduced to one lane and westbound to two lanes and sometimes one for between Joplin Street and Upland Avenue. Periodic lane closures in both directions from Hwy. 101 to Thurston Avenue.
14. Hwy. 169 in Champlin: Single-lane traffic in both directions between Hwy. 610 and East Hayden Lake Road.
15. 66th Street in Richfield: Closed to through traffic from Humboldt tp Portland avenues S. Project extends from Xerxes Avenue to 16th Avenue S.
16. Hwy. 50 in Farmington: Single lane with flaggers between Hwy. 3 and Hwy. 52.
17. Hwy. 3 in Inver Grove Heights: Closed in both directions between Rich Valley Boulevard and Hwy. 55.
18. Hwy. 41 in Chaska: Closed in both directions from Hundertmark Road and Pioneer Trail until September.
19. Flying Cloud Drive in Eden Prairie: Closed from Charlson Road and Spring Road.