Just got off the phone with Holy Family head coach Dave Hopkins, who happily reports that senior defensive back Michael Wurm is doing well after a scary incident Saturday at the Metrodome that left him unconscious.

"He's got the bounce back in his step," Hopkins said. "He even wants to play [in the Prep Bowl], but he just can't. But that's a good sign."

In the fourth quarter of Saturday's 35-29 Class 3A victory over DeLaSalle, Wurm lost his helmet making a tackle and hit his head hard on the turf. The nearest referee immediately called for assistance, as Wurm lay motionless. He appeared not to move for several moments, but Hopkins said Wurm had full feeling in his hands and feet throughout the tense situation on the field before medical personnel wheeled him off the field.

"There's no damage to his neck or his spine," Hopkins said. "It's just a severe concussion, and I say 'just' a little tongue-in-cheek. He's OK, and doing much better."

After Holy Family's win, a visibly shaken Hopkins left the Metrodome to get to a nearby hospital to visit with Wurm. By the time he got there, Wurm was alert.

"Actually, they were waiting for me to get there so he could go home," Hopkins said. "Everything [with the paramedics] was just a precaution, thank goodness."

Later Saturday, anyone who stuck around for the Class 5A match-up no doubt had a rough time getting home during the ice storm. Put Mounds View in that boat. Two team busses - one with players, one with fans - collided en route back to the school from the game.

"They had 35W shut down at Stinson, so we had to find alternate routes and we had a little bumping between busses during it all," Mustangs' Athletics Director Bob Madison said. "It was not a good situation, but it worked out. I didn't get one call from a parent angry about anything. We're Minnesotans true at heart, able to thrive through these situations."

Madison, who was not on either bus, said there was no major damage or injuries.

Mounds View lost the game 21-16 to top-ranked Wayzata. The Mustangs were in it until the final horn.

"It's too bad that one wasn't on TV like [this] week's games will be," Madison said. "Too many people missed a great football game."