It's taken more than three years, but construction on the new Hastings Bridge on Hwy. 61 over the Mississippi River is finally complete. Now it's time to celebrate.
Representatives from MnDOT, leaders in the Hastings community and elected officials will dedicate the new $130 million structure during a program at 10 a.m. Friday the Hastings City Hall, 101 E. 4th Street.
A ribbon-cutting and mural unveiling will follow the program. The new public plaza on 2nd Street in downtown Hastings will feature stone murals by local artist Craig David. The murals depict scenes and characteristics that represent Hastings and its natural surroundings.
The new Hastings Bridge features a 100-year lifespan and is the longest, free-standing tied arch bridge on the continent. MnDOT says. More than 30,000 vehicles use the four-lane bridge to cross the Mississippi River crossing each day.
Here is a list of the confirmed speakers
Confirmed speakers include:
- City of Hastings Mayor Paul Hicks
- Dakota County Commissioner Mike Slavik
- Minnesota Representative Denny McNamara
- Minnesota Senator Katie Sieben
- Congressman John Kline, Minnesota 2nd District
- United States Senator Amy Klobuchar
- MnDOT Commissioner Charlie Zelle
Photo: Supplied by MnDOT