The Green Line marks one year of service on Sunday, but riders won’t be celebrating so much with a portion of the line closed for track maintenance all weekend.
Green Line trains will not run between Target Field and the University of Minnesota’s Stadium Village station from 7 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday.
The Blue Line won’t have service between Target Field and Franklin Avenue in Minneapolis.
Trains will run as normal elsewhere on both lines. Buses will substitute for trains where the lines are down. They will run a similar schedule as trains but may take more time, Metro Transit said.
For motorists, the weekend brings a few new detours to go with long-running projects.
Here is where you will find cones and barriers:
• Friday morning, commuters will find crews repaving 9th Street between Chicago and Marquette avenues, beginning at 6 a.m. The work is scheduled to last until Saturday evening. Traffic will be diverted to 7th Street. Westbound I-94 drivers could try the 11th Street ramp to avoid tangles around the Vikings’ stadium.
• The southbound lanes of the Lafayette Bridge will be closed from 4 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Traffic will be detoured east on I-94, south on Hwy. 61 and west on I-494 back to Hwy. 52. Northbound lanes will remain open.
• Only a few more days to deal with tie-ups on I-35W and I-494 as evening rush-hour drivers find their way around the closure of southbound Cedar Avenue between Old Shakopee Road and Hwy. 13. They are supposed to reopen Monday. Note to northbound drivers: MnDOT says intermittent lane closures will be in place 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday and next week leading up to the northbound closure.
• West metro drivers on Hwy. 5 have two closures: in Waconia between County Road 10 and Oak Avenue until Aug. 1, and in Victoria between E. Scandia Road and County Road 11 until September.
• Both directions of Hwy. 13 are closed between 2nd Street and Lexington Avenue in Mendota at Lilydale. This will be in place until Aug. 22.
• Hwy. 100 is reduced to two lanes in each direction between Excelsior Blvd. and I-394 in St. Louis Park.
• I-494 through Plymouth and Maple Grove will have two northbound lanes and one southbound lane open Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. That’s when MnDOT will slide the movable barrier over to create a second southbound lane for folks returning from out of town.
• Travelers on I-94 between St. Michael and Rogers can expect overnight lane closures after 7 or 8 p.m. Friday and on Saturday.