The Gophers will open the 2013-14 men’s hockey season with the Ice Breaker Tournament on Oct. 11-12 at Mariucci Arena. Three teams from the East — Clarkson, Mercyhurst and New Hampshire — will join the host team in the field.
“Next year will be the beginning of a new era for the Gopher hockey program,” coach Don Lucia said in a news release, referring to his team’s switch to the Big Ten Conference, “and we’re excited to open the season at Mariucci Arena with the Ice Breaker Tournament.”
Red Wing star Boldt hurt
Senior outfielder Ryan Boldt of Red Wing, the state’s top baseball prospect, left the second game of a doubleheader at Farmington on Friday because of a knee injury. The Nebraska recruit has been projected as a possible first-round pick in the major league draft in June. The Wingers swept the doubleheader.
U men golfers in second
The Gophers were in second place after two rounds of the Big Ten men’s golf meet in French Lick, Ind., with a 14-over-par score of 587. Minnesota was two shots behind Illinois and two ahead of Iowa.
Erik Van Rooyen was the low Gopher with a 1-under 143 after rounds of 70 and 73. He is alone in third place, three shots behind two co-leaders from Indiana and Illinois.
• Colorado Avalanche defenseman Erik Johnson, of Bloomington, has been added to the U.S. team for the 2013 IIHF World Championship from may 3-19 in Helsinki and Stockholm.
• Sara Moulton pitched a one-hitter and struck out 11 as the Gophers beat Ohio State 3-0 in Big Ten softball in Columbus. Shortstop Tyler Walker had a double, home run and two RBI.
• Iowa beat the Gophers 10-9 in Big Ten baseball in 10 innings. Visiting Minnesota was ahead 9-4 when Kris Goodman hit a grand slam for Iowa in the bottom of the eighth. Iowa’s winning run scored when Keith Brand was hit with a pitch with the bases-loaded and two outs in the 10th.
• The Gophers were 10th with a score of 312 after the first round of the Big Ten women’s golf meet in French Lick, Ind. Carmen Laguna shot a 4-over-par 76 for the team’s best total.
• The second-seeded Gophers defeated Michigan State 4-0 in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten men’s tennis tournament in Columbus, Ohio. Minnesota won the doubles point and got straight-set victories at No. 2, 3 and 6 singles to clinch the match.
• The Gophers won the men’s 4x800-meter relay at the Drake Relays in Des Moines. Relay members Goaner Deng, Alex Brend, Travis Burkstrand and Harun Abda clocked a time of 7 minutes, 26.49 seconds.