Good afternoon, college football fans. I came across an interesting story from 247Sports today. The website released its preseason list of the top 247 players in college football.
Checking in at No. 95 is Gophers senior defensive tackle Steven Richardson, who is on the watch lists for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy and Bednarik Award. Both of those honors to go the national defensive player of the year.
As for who's the best player in college football, here's 247Sports' top five:
1. Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson
2. Florida State safety Derwin James
3. Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver
4. Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield
5. Alabama safety Minkah Fitzpatrick
The top-ranked Big Ten player is Penn State running back Saquon Barkley at No. 8.
Other ranking notes of Gophers/local interest:
* Arkansas center Frank Ragnow, a Chanhassen High School product, is ranked No. 36.
* Wisconsin linebacker Jack Cichy, the former Hill-Murray standout, is No. 107.
* Middle Tennessee, the Gophers' Sept. 16 opponent, has three players in the top 247: wide receiver Richie James at No. 58, defensive end Walter Brady at No. 145 and quarterback Brent Stockstill at No. 191. Don't sleep on those Blue Raiders.
* Oregon State cornerback Xavier Crawford, who will face the Gophers on Sept.9, is No. 220.
* Washington State, which lost to the Gophers in last season's Holiday Bowl, has five players ranked: DE Hercules Mata'afa (45), OG Cody O'Connell (52), QB Luke Falk (55), OT Andre Dillard (157) and OT Cole Madison (187).
The complete list is at: