Brett Favre thinks he should know by Friday whether he will be able to make his NFL-record 298th consecutive regular-season start Sunday when the Vikings play host to the New York Giants. Favre suffered a sprained sternoclavicular joint in his throwing (right) shoulder when he was hit on the third play of the Vikings' victory over Buffalo last weekend.
This is the first time he's suffered this type of injury and Favre admitted that getting his shirt and socks on remains a challenge. Interim coach Leslie Frazier said Favre will not practice Wednesday and the goal is to have him do some work on Thursday. Favre has yet to try to throw a pass and it's unknown what his range of motion will be.
"I would think by Friday I would have a pretty good grasp just based on that being two days from now, how it feels today versus this past Sunday," Favre said when asked when a decision might be made. "I would say we're going every two days. I don't expect to do much in practice this week, unlike the [broken] foot [in late October] where I did come back and practice. I think this is something that really needs time. So I think I'll have a pretty good idea on Friday where it's going."
Asked if he could rule himself out of the game -- interim coach Leslie Frazier has made it clear this decision largely will be up to Favre and the doctors -- Favre said: "Absolutely. That hasn't happened too many times in my career but sitting here right now? Sure. Friday I should know a lot more just based on how it feels compared to today. I'm not saying that based on the idea I'm going to throw 50 passes tomorrow. I just think how it feels when I wake up will tell a lot."
However, Frazier said the decision on Favre likely would come down to game day.
Wide receiver Percy Harvin continues to deal with the affects of a migraine headache that caused him to sit out last Sunday's game. Harvin did not practice last Thursday or Friday after the onset of another migraine in the middle of last week.
Harvin was not on the field at the start of Wednesday's practice and was expected to sit out.
Frazier said at this point Harvin "should be fine and should be able to play on Sunday." However, the team will need to see how he improves throughout this week before making a final determination.
- Defensive end Ray Edwards, who missed last Sunday's game because of a sprained right ankle, is improving, according to Frazier. "We think there's a chance that we may have him this weekend," Frazier said. Edwards, however, did not practice on Wednesday.
- Running back Toby Gerhart has a hamstring injury and the plan is to cut back on his reps this week in practice. Gerhart was on the field to start Wednesday's practice.
- Pro Bowl left guard Steve Hutchinson was wearing a cast on his right hand as he practiced. He did not play last Sunday because of a broken thumb.
- Safety Tyrell Johnson has an MCL injury and there is a good chance he will miss this game. He did not practice Wednesday.
- The official list of players not practicing on Wednesday included: Favre, Harvin, Joe Webb (hamstring), Johnson (knee), Chris Cook (knee) and Edwards.
- Running back Albert Young suffered an MCL injury on Sunday against the Bills and that is why he is expected to land on injured reserve this afternoon.