Michigan leaps over Michigan St.
• MICHIGAN 5, MICHIGAN STATE 3: The No. 19 Wolverines (20-14, 11-8 Big Ten) bumped the Spartans (16-15-2, 10-7-2-2) out of first place in East Lansing. Travis Lynch broke a 3-all tie with 5:03 left. Tyler Motte added an empty-netter late. Ryan Keller had a hat trick — one goal in every period — and goalie Jake Hildebrand 39 saves for Michigan State. Zach Nagelvoort had 24 saves for the Wolverines. The home-and-home series moves to Ann Arbor on Saturday. Michigan took a 2-0 lead in the first 10 minutes on goals by Dexter Dancs and Cutler Martin.
• OHIO STATE 2, WISCONSIN 2 (OT), tie: Brad Navin scored two goals for the Badgers (4-24-5, 2-14-3-2) in their tie with the Buckeyes (12-18-3, 7-11-1-1) but it was Ohio State who got the extra point for a shootout win. The Buckeyes won 4-3 in the shootout on Clark Cristofoli’s goal.
• NORTH DAKOTA 5, COLORADO COLLEGE 1: Nick Mattson had the winning goal and two assists to lead No. 1 UND (26-7-3) past the Tigers in the opener of their best-of-three series. North Dakota built a 3-0 after two periods. Colorado College (6-25-3) scored early in the third, but UND’s Paul LaDue answered within two minutes.
• ST. CLOUD STATE 2, OMAHA 1 (2 OTs): David Morley’s goal at 9:49 of the second period gave the Huskies (17-17-1) the road win.
• MINN. ST. MANKATO 9, LAKE SUPERIOR STATE 2: Matt Leitner scored two goals and had an assist and Jean-Paul Lafontaine had a goal and three assists to lead the No. 2 Mavericks to a rout over the visiting Lakers in the first game of their best-of-three series. With the score tied 2-2, Minnesota got the final four goals of the middle period to break it open. Casey Nelson got the winner at 5:18. Two Lake Superior State goalies combined for 50 saves.